I was invited to respond to a Avid Angler Challenge, basically what 5 baits would you pick with to fish for the rest of your life. So you only get 5 and you are stuck with them….
Seem easy at first, but 5 is not that many compared to what I keep in my boat and being a tournament bass angler, you need to be ready for anything!
1. 1/2oz BassTEK Tungsten Jig – For color, I’d tie up a custom skirt with a Green Pumpkin & Brown combination. I probably fish a 3/8oz jig more now, but since I am stuck with one, the half will help me fish deep structure better when I need to. I can swim it, flip it, drag it, stroke it, bass jigs are super versatile.
2. Baby Brush Hog – To be versatile in most water clarities I’ll go Green Pumpkin Blue. I like this bait, because ti catches fish of all sizes, tough bites and good bites. I can fish it on texas rigs, shakey head, as a jig trailer as well mojo and c-rigged. Just a great bait that gets bit in all conditions.
3. 1/2 oz Chrome/Blue Lipless Crankbait – Not sure on brand, probably a Red Eye Shad or a Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap. Either way, as long as your patient, you can work any water column that needs a baitfish presentation and chrome blue catches fish everywhere. So if I am only going to have one crankbait, this would be it.
4. Lake Fork Ring Fry – Doesn’t matter which color, as long as it is green pumpkin. This bait is an awesome do nothing looking bait that plain catches fish. It probably most resembles a bluegill. I often work this bait weightless like most others would fish a senko, but you can rig it most of the same weighs mentioned about the Brush Hog above. The on other thing I would ask of this bait, is to fish it weightless and it would as act as my frog as well over pads and duck weed.
5. Yellow Magic Popper – Sometimes you just need a topwater, when fish are keyed on bait, it is a must, plus a supper fun way to fish. I would go with Bone or shad pattern. To me, this is the best topwater I own and have ever thrown!
Do you think you can narrow your baits down to 5? Leave a comment and let’s hear it!